PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging taxi time for aborted flight
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 10:21
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One comment for the OP that nobody has mentioned - the attitude that the club / POH has set a xwind limit, and that if it's 15kts you will fly, 16 kts you will not.

If you're comfortable in a lot more than 15, then that's fair enough (choosing to obey the rule), but I would suggest the primary concern should be 'can I handle this comfortably', in which case asking for another report in 30 sec might be appropriate if things are fluctuating. However, if it was 15 you're not automatically OK. In my opinion (there are plenty of those round here), you should be thinking about 'airmanship' - i.e. what is smart, rather than observance of a relatively arbitrary rule. Not to pick on you, just making a point - after all, you demonstrated sound judgement (err on the safe side) by not going in the first place.

I believe you'll find what is in the POH (proper) is the maximum demonstrated crosswind, not a *limit*. There are often discussions about insurance should anything go wrong, but I would suggest it is not a binary decision as goes a divert on reported wind landing. For one thing the reported wind is by definition historic data. Yes, I have aborted on excessive xwind before, but only after flying an approach and deciding I didn't like the picture at the end of it; in that case, there was nobody to report the wind, but the crab angle was severely large to make me reconsider.