PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is BA still the Holy Grail of airlines?!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 09:00
Chief Brody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep the time to command question is not an easy one to answer. The seniority numbers mentioned earlier are a very good indicator - think of them as triggers if you will. A number which once at or below your bid for command has a good chance. So the question becomes: How long to reach those sort of seniority numbers?

If someone was to ask me in the pub my answer would probably be: between 10 and 15 years from date of joining.

There’s just soooooo many variables.

Do you want your first command to be LH or SH?
Now that the retirement age is 65 (watch this space), how many folk will really stay that long?
What implications will the recent tax changes have - will there be a steady stream of people going part-time freeing up some space below?
Would you consider a Gatwick command - Gatters is afterall considered by some at BA to be the poor relation in the family.

----

Also, the original question was whether BA was still the holy of holys (or words to that effect).

My answer is no. Or more precisely this: BA sits among a group of about 20 airlines (IMHO) - any one of which offer their pilots the same thing - a pleasant lifestyle, a secure working environment and a sensible wage - with a chance to tick all the boxes over the course of their career with them.

----

Little things I like about BA (in no particular order)

1) Whilst no crew food will ever make the Michelin guide its nice that we have some control over what we shovel in. For example I opt for a fruit platter breakfast (in addition to cereal, yoghurt and Danish if the pursers in a nice mood!), a lucky dip lunch (meaning just normal non specific) and a low calorie supper - thinking back to my previous life, hoola hoops, Dairy Lee Dunkers and a chicken mayo salad with more calories than an easter egg come to mind.
2) Like many other airlines we can purchase as many ID90 tickets as we want to - for BA or numerous others in the staff travel scheme. But the bit I like is that from the date you join you are eligible for two club seats anywhere on the network once a year (just pay the taxes) - this becomes first class when you become a skipper.
3) When you take your holiday, if travelling from Heathrow you can use the staff car park free for two weeks.
4) If a qualified volunteer sim panel operator you can take friends and family into the sim when they're not being used for training - 60 quid an hour for a go in a 747 or 777.
5) FSRC or Flying Staff Recreation Club. Basically pay 2 quid a month and when you pitch up at a hotel down route there is gym membership, golf clubs, bikes, tennis rackets, surf boards etc etc there for you to use at no extra cost.
6) NUBRIEF - the pilot briefing pack used by BA. When I worked for my previous employer so much time was wasted downloading and printing met, aircraft and route info most of which was non important anyway. With NUBRIEF you swipe your ID, out comes all the relevant data for you trip, you use the electronic stapler to pop it all together and then go and brief whilst enjoying your discounted cup of designer coffee. Magic.
7) Letters of thanks - ok I am going to be shot to pieces for this with others saying this never happens to them, nevertheless I’ll proceed. Every now and then all of us are asked to step up to the plate and go beyond the call of duty (to borrow the American vernacular) - That said each time I have within a month there has been a letter on my doorstep saying thank you, it didnt go un-noticed and its been added to my file - recognition of a job well done. Did this ever happen at my previous west country based employer - I'll let you guess the answer.

----

Would I ever leave BA? Yes.

But only for a sizeable improvement in my lifestyle. And by this I mean one which warranted the inevitable disturbance on my family life. Is BA the be all and end all, na - but it's pretty darn good.