PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging taxi time for aborted flight
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 08:33
NazgulAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were I to hire a pilot, I would not be looking for that last 0.2 hours in the log book of total experience. I would be looking for a person who was honest about the flying experience they had.
True enough, but I'd also be looking for a pilot who knows his limits and knows when to abort or cancel a flight. As such the decision has to be commended. The500man, you may also make an entry in your logbook with a remark and nothing in the time columns. (If you want to mention taxi time at all you can place it in the remarks column, but it's far less important than the fact that you have exercised good judgement).

As for crosswinds: particularly in gusting winds, it is difficult to determine exactly how close to the limit (the aircraft's or your own) you may be upon landing. One knot isn't going to make much difference.
If you feel uncomfortable with your own limit, get some good sessions with an instructor in a strong and gusty crosswind.
Note: some clubs impose low club limits to safeguard their airplanes against poor technique. I think that is silly; rather than increasing safety, it makes members afraid of crosswinds and that doesn't do any good to their technique.