PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help focus the cuts on the right areas
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 08:04
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an assessment by the Ministry of Defence leaked to The Times
one senior source told The Times that scrapping the Tornado “could be said to be finding favour” with ministers and Service chiefs
Wonder what colour cloth the senior source wears? If I recall correctly the Army normally leak via the Telegraph ..... so it must be the Navy

Or is this a poor attempt by the RAF to get the 'sympathy' vote?

FWIW I can see both the JFH and GR4 fleets being reduced (in terms of FEAR - my money is on both being halved) and the GR4 OSD being bought forward considerably (depending on when the Typhoon is really ready, rather than media ready). This will (just) keep the 'decks warm' for the RN and maintain (just) a CAS capability that can operate for than 6 months.

Does the statement by the the Chancellor regarding Trident now give the RN a headache - will they have to choose between backing Trident or Carriers? If told to back Trident will that be the death of the Carriers or will the other Services be told to suck up their share from their portion of the pot (and I know technically there is no "pot allocation" for equipment but you get my drift).