PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help focus the cuts on the right areas
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2010, 07:29
Biggus

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
First of all it is politically unacceptable for any party to totally disband the UK armed forces. They are also all seen (possibly even genuinely) falling over themselves to say what a good job are armed forces are doing.........however....

Given the political poo and quagmire that Blair and Brown got into over Iraq (which will always be seen as Blairs legacy) and Afghanistan I cannot see any UK PM being keen to commit British armed forces overseas in the next 10-20 years. With the one noteable exception of contributing some token forces to an international coalition engaged in some cause that has widespread public, even global, support.

Yes surprises happen, but a large UK military won't be kept on that basis. Given the above, although it won't be stated as such, UK military forces will (in my humble opinion) shrink towards what is effectively a national protection organization.

Of course evryone has an opinion, mine might well turn out to be wrong. We will all see in a few months time.... In the meantime all us armchair generals/prime ministers can spectulate.