PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-92 gearbox crack
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 21:53
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still waiting for answers

Lonewolf, thanks for the positive feedback, I've been patiently waiting for news on the uprated MGB release to civilian industry. Reduction of overhaul periods is a contingency, not a solution. What metric is used to determine the numbers of hours, hopefully not the same one that was used to calculate 1250 hours for filter housing stud change out...was FMECA used?

So far no conclusive answers to my questions, still waiting for SAC to be man enough to publicly address these issues and instill confidence in the S-92, most likely not going to happen until a lot a trouble-free flying hours are clocked up to prove that they are actively managing the still present design issues.

What still amazes me is that this helo is allowed to operate in hostile environments such as offshore personnel transfer without 30-minute run dry capability when IMHO the FAR29 clause is not being met due to the number of failures to date (2) as I count the Broome incident as a failure as well regardless of the conjecture on the root cause failure mode i.e. the filter housing should not have created a leakage path due to sub-standard design/material selection. Explain that one to me guys...

Safe flying

Max

Last edited by maxwelg2; 30th Jul 2010 at 13:21.