PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-92 gearbox crack
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 19:21
Horror box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as per usual - the truth is not getting in the way of some good old scare-mongering!
- The S92 has a known issue with cracking in one of the mounting feet for the MGB
- It is only one of the four feet in which this is occurring, and is occurring in the same area each time.
- Whilst not optimal, natural design redundancy means that the remaining three struts are more than capable of holding the structure indefinitely.
- New maintenance procedures require inspection of all mounting feet before every single flight and this is stated and signed in the DMR.
- If a crack is found, the aircraft is grounded immediately.
- Comprehensive study is being carried out by SAC in cooperation with the operators to find all possible causes.
- MGB life has been significantly reduced until the problem is rectified at the cost of SAC.
- Flight procedures have included reducing cruise torque to reduce vibration levels, and reduce the overall stress on the gearbox mounting, until the cause can be conformed and fixed.

No I don't work for SAC, but as most will realise I do fly the S92, and am satisfied with the level of management of the issue, as are I hope most who work with machine.