PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 29th Jul 2010, 17:44
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HN39
I didn't think the discussion was limited to Airbus A320/330/340/350/380. Can you really authoritatively state that Airbus never stalled any of those airplanes beyond the g-break?
I don't work for Airbus, and their flight test program is likely proprietary information, so I am not in a position to state authoritatively anything about it at all.

Originally Posted by HN39
Anyway, I have considerable difficulty in accepting your statement that "In other words, actually high-alpha-stalling large commercial aircraft, even for certification, is ancient history." From my perspective, it doesn't do justice to the rigidity, thoroughness and expense in money and manpower of the type certification process of large airplanes.
Opinions may differ and yours is a reasonable point of view (with which I do not necessarily agree). But I am wondering whether I overstated the case and am inquiring. The wording of statements causes some problems here, as I pointed out in my blog note. Here is a further example: BOAC made a valid point that if you are "fully stalled" you don't want to try lifting wings with aileron. But he meant something different from CS 25, for which an Airbus holding Alpha_Max (less than C_L_Max) for two seconds counts as "fully stalled". I prefer (what I take to be) BOAC's meaning, but you can't argue with regs; if they say "chicken and onion pie" means the left windshield pane, then the left windshield pane it is, and we have to find another word for our lunch.

PBL