PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 15:46
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
andrewn,

Reference post 320. Most of the costs incurred are spent in developing the aircraft, whether you buy one or 100. Hence the unit cost of each MRA4 would have been significantly less if we had bought the original 21 planned. Which is not to say that the project isn't grossly over budget!

mra4eng

Where to start?

First of all - what is a troll?

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Defines it, amongst other things, as someone who posts inflammatory messages. On that basis you sir are a troll! But then no doubt many of us here are. What is the definition of inflammatory? What may be inflammatory to one person could be considered harmless to another.

Then there is your put down comment about someone comparing the MRA4 to a Volvo or Ford. I believe it was "airpolice". Well, this is an open forum. Not everyone on here is from the RAF, so what makes you think that "airpolice" is? They might be, they might not, but the username hints at their current job I think. However, I agree with you that the standard of poster on here can be quite low - I mean you got in didn't you?

As for RAF people at Warton(?) leaving work at 1530, maybe they do, I wouldn't know. Without trying to defend them there could be several possible explainations in addition to the obvious one. Maybe, having been forced to cram 3 years work into 9 (or is it 12?) as the project has continually slipped to the right, they have finished for the day by then. Maybe they have gone native and are adopting BAE practice? Who knows? Maybe they would rather be working on a successful, on time project?

Finally to BAE itself, this wonderful company you seem so proud of. Here are just a few examples to ponder:

First of all read the Haddon Cave report, especially the section about the BAE involvement in the Safety Case of the MR2. On the basis of what is revealed in the H-C report I think some senior management from BAE should quite simply be in jail, for the fraudulent way they took money from the MOD for work they hadn't done and then tried to gloss over it.

Then there is BAE's dodgy dealing in Saudi to win Typhoon orders. It may well be the way business is done out there, and I'm not saying BAE shouldn't have done it. Such is the grubby way of the world these days, and I'm sure the US and French do it as much, if not more. I'm glad they won valuable export orders. Just don't try and tell me what a knight in shining armour BAE is.... They are no better (or worse?) than the rest.

Finally, BAE engineering standards. If they are so good why is the build quality of PA04 as bad as I have heard rumoured? Why has so much remedial work had to be done, why are there so many engineering concessions on the aircraft, what about issues with the fuel system and undercarriage. Let alone the instability problem that took so long to resolve. All basic engineering issues.

The MOD is inefficient and bureaucratic. The RAF has its share of t*ssers and career animals (read anything from tucumseh on pprune). I'm not defending any of them. But BAE is also far from perfect......

I would be tempted to say that "people who live in glass houses......".

However, I have the sneaking suspicion that you are the sort of person that will keep throwing stones!

Edited to correct some grammar - but I'm sure I still didn't get it all correct!!

Last edited by Biggus; 29th Jul 2010 at 16:02.