PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions II
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 13:34
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JayPee28bpr

Again a well made point. As I see it, you have two parts to one issue. If you forget the detail of staff travel, then the wider point is as Safety Concern states; that you have a right (well you might have) not to be punished for taking part in industrial action.

I understand your point of which right as more right, but disagree about the right to get to work (there isn't one) over the right to strike (there is, albeit within the EU). You can only proceed on what is available in current legislation, even if the specific part is not there. Statute law is always expanded on with case law.

I agree that "it isn't fair or just" has no weight in BA's actions, as it is all about money and that is what will decide this particular issue. If the cost of compensation outweighs the benefit to BA of following its course of action, then staff travel may be returned to its pre dispute level.

As to your last paragraph, as I have said before, I would love to be in the branch meeting when this issue is discussed. I just wish Len Mccluskey was involved more now, as it would improve Les Bayliss's chances to be the next General Secretary of Unite.