PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 29th Jul 2010, 12:55
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HN39,

Your reference 1 will be quite useful for those here who don't know what is taken to determine a "full stall". I point out -again - that the flight tests are only performed to determine Vs1g. That is one point - a very, very important point, but still only one - on the C_L / AoA / speed-MachNo graph collection.

Condition (i) for "fully stalled" says "pitch control reaches the aft stop and is held full aft for two seconds, or until the pitch attitude stop increasing, whichever occurs later". You can obviously do that in both Normal and Alternate Law (that is, Alternate 1) on an Airbus without actually reaching, let alone going beyond, AoA for C_L_Max (and I mean the real C_L_Max). Regs define that as "fully stalled", but it is not aerodynamically at the point of serious loss of lift, or even severe buffet.

Originally Posted by HN39
The major manufacturers contributing to an industry-wide effort to improve pilot training aids for upset recovery, including recovery from stalls, drew on their extensive experience. They did not have to 'go back' to get it.
That is what I understood also, and therefore why I was querying guiones on what he thought was done, since he was saying a lot of further testing and calibration was performed (he apparently knows some of the participants, but hasn't yet said).

Originally Posted by HN39
Perhaps you are confusing (type) certication with the UK CAA practice for periodic renewal (from memory: every 5 years) of the C of A of individual 'Performance Group A' aircraft on the UK Register
Yes, perhaps I am. Perhaps Airclues can clarify which he meant?

PBL