PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Last ASIC And The Last Medical.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 10:17
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Frank:

There are heaps of 600kg LSA aircraft on the RA-Aus register.
BS! And the same goes for RAA aircraft that are allowed to operate over populated areas.

I can't and won't even ask CASA regarding that matter because it incriminates myself were I to build an aircraft in that category! I''ve asked the RAA! I'll be ****** if I have to have a handshake to operate an aircraft.

Are you another one of these characters who sidle up and say ""well strictly speaking the regulations say "XXXXXXXXXXXX" but I can give you an exemption".

RAA is limited to 544 Kg and that is that until hell freezes over. I might as well buy a clapped out C150, since that is more useful provided I have a medical. (Yes! I have asked!)

I spent weeks trying to make sense of the regulations and all I got in the end was "trust me". I'm not investing $50,000+++ on that basis, nor would anyone with half a brain. The choice seems to be between the cost of GA versus the uncertainty of RA and I don't think I should need to be required to end up debating the finer points of the regulations on some airfield some where.

There is no certainty in anything to do with aviation in Australia - ie: no ironclad way to ensure one complies, therefore no certainty in investment, therefore stick it up your ****, compared to other investment priorities.

To put it another way, it would be preferable to build a railway to Innamincka before you sealed the strip there.

Last edited by Sunfish; 29th Jul 2010 at 10:38.