PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trislander retirement
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 10:09
Sleepybhudda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those unfortunate details

Ok im tired of watching people speculate as to why you think its DC's choice to get rid of the Trislanders. Its not

2012 is when the CAA will no longer allow the Channel Islands to be non-complient with EU-OPS for a number of reasons.

But its JAR-OPS (which we could have exemptions to) and EU-OPS (which we can't) that are gonna see the end of the Trislanders.

Subpart K mostly, stuff like

OPS 1.665
Ground proximity warning system and terrain awareness warning system
(a) An operator shall not operate a turbine powered aeroplane having a maximum certificated take-off mass in excess of
5 700 kg or a maximum approved passenger seating configuration of more than nine unless it is equipped with a
ground proximity warning system that includes a predictive terrain hazard warning function (terrain awareness and

warning system — TAWS).

OPS 1.670
Airborne weather radar equipment
(a) An operator shall not operate:
1. a pressurised aeroplane; or
2. an unpressurised aeroplane which has a maximum certificated take-off mass of more than 5 700 kg; or
3. an unpressurised aeroplane having a maximum approved passenger seating configuration of more than nine seats,
unless it is equipped with airborne weather radar equipment whenever such an aeroplane is being operated at night
or in instrument meteorological conditions in areas where thunderstorms or other potentially hazardous weather
conditions, regarded as detectable with airborne weather radar, may be expected to exist along the route.

OPS 1.815
Emergency lighting
(a) An operator shall not operate a passenger carrying aeroplane which has a maximum approved passenger seating configuration
of more than nine unless it is provided with an emergency lighting system having an independent power
supply to facilitate the evacuation of the aeroplane. The emergency lighting system must include:

So Islanders with 9 seats are okay....Trislanders 17 seats not so good.

I can't see Britten Norman developing TAWS, WX radar and Emergency exit lights for new trislanders. If they do great but thats a lot of development cost especially under EASA (not cheap).

I love Trislanders I have been fortunate enought to fly them and the thought of them going makes me sad, but its buisness.

If Aurigny was as good as everyone says (and they were for most of the 90's) then they wouldn't be in the position to be sold without them having any say in the matter.