PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any more advice for newbies ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 09:33
Captain-Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardship Posting

Well,

It was a long time ago, but my co-pilot got blown up in a Southern Transport C-130 when they hit an unknown mine buried in the dirt runway. She still walks funny. When I told an African pilot about her story, he laughed, saying: "Most of the runways in Africa have unexploded mines in them."

So there's some hazards and probably, as well, some great opportunities. But the advice given by TopTup is good. You're going to have to accept sleeping in the airplane swatting Malaria mosquitoes all night, and loading baggage and cargo with your own brittle spine. You will also get elected to empty the ****ter, change the oil, do ALL the revisions, wash the plane, do stacks of mind-numbing paper work, and be a gofer in the training office. Be sure you know how to make good coffee and tea, since making it and dragging around "the jug of shame" is going to be your prime directive. Also don't be surprised if you only jerk the gear lever and talk on the radio 90 percent of the time.... Actually, most of my early experience was North America and Asia, but some things are universal entry co-pilot duties. Your first few jobs are not going to amount to much, unless you're damn lucky.

Are you sure you don't want to go to Med School instead?

Why don't you head on over to the African Forum and ask those guys? If you're tough enough, I would go over there. Many overseas chief pilots wind up bailing from ex-girlfriends, gambling debts etc; you might wake up one day and be in charge of a small outfit. Looks killer on a resume.

Good Luck,

CC