PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bulldog or Slingsby Firefly
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2010, 05:26
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
''Have you tried the Beggs/Müller recovery in the Bulldog?''

No, although with the wink smiley, I'm not sure if this is a leading question. I only ever flew the Bulldog in the RAF and we didn't use any recovery except the one in the book. The Bulldog had a bit of history with spinning. It didn't recover like the Pup it was developed from and a few were lost to spinning accidents. A theory was that the much larger canopy on the 'dog was blanking the rudder. A new recovery was developed where the control column was moved forward faster and further than before, almost like a neagtive bunt. For this reason, I don't think the Beggs Mueller technique would be appropriate or that successful from a fully developed spin. Do you have experience of it in the Bulldog?

I've experimented with the B/M on a couple of aircraft and my impression is that it works OK, but probably with only certain types. I've seen a list of aircraft it doesn't work with which includes the Harvard, Chipmunk and Decathalon, all of which spin quite well. (It also includes the C150 which will exclude a large chunk of the training fleet!). I get the impression that it's a technique which works well on spin resistant aircaft which would probably recover if you just centralised the controls - which is the recovery for the insipient stage anyway.

But I'm sure someone will mention the Pitts S2 which will spin like a top and with which I gather the B/M is particulary effective. However, from my memory of flying one (a long time ago) it also recovers quickly.

Thanks DB6. I rarely get told that. But I do often get picked up on my spelling!