PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Last ASIC And The Last Medical.
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 23:57
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
The Last ASIC And The Last Medical.

I've done the paperwork to renew the ASIC and I've booked the class 2 Medical. I've got a year to go for another flight review.

I've decided that unless there is a marked change in the GA and RA aviation environment by the time the medical and ASIC expire, then I'm out of the game permanently.

Factors.

1. Continuing increase in restrictions and costs of everything plus declining service levels everywhere. For example Aerodrome fees and availability of Avgas, and the continuing pressure by property developers and NIMBys to close airports. I live close to YPCK, any chance of using it and saving an hours drive to YMMB? Nope.

2. Less than helpful regulatory environment that isn't going to change anytime soon, backed by (according to pprune) vicious enforcement tactics. I won't be going to Birdsville, not because I wouldn't mind the trip, but because I don't wish to run the gauntlet of the Ramp check and now drug and alcohol goons. I do my best to comply, but there is no way I can't be tripped up by someone intent on finding an issue. Furthermore, a simple visit to the aircraft to retrieve a camera after lunch at a YBHI, or after a Panadiene tablet for a headache, can land me with an infringement and no way of legally getting home. I can't stand officious goons.

3. Not much prospect of RAA getting their 600 kg limit. I drool over some of the kit aircraft available overseas, but the tangled regulatory minefield and restrictions on use are too much to risk spending the money at the moment.

Everything seems to rest on CASA "interpretations" of the rules, with the threat of impossible to fund legal action as the only avenue available for dispute resolution.

There is just too much uncertainty to bother with, and unless it improves, I'm outta here.