PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To fly or ...not to fly.
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 23:06
uglyduckling05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To fly or ...not to fly.

I am a newly qualified, low hour fATPL pilot looking at potentially joining a major UK low cost airline very soon under a P2F arrangement that means I effectively earn no money for the first year(!). Although I feel I have worked hard to get to this position I’ve recently developed significant concerns over my career choice. My concerns cover topics often voiced on pprune as follows:
  • Volatile/fragile industry (oil prices, volcanoes, economy, terrorism, carbon emission, small profit margins during the best of times)
  • Unsociable work schedules
  • Long + odd hours = fatigue
  • Robotic, repetitive work
  • Tough job market if you should find yourself out of work
  • Negative trends in terms and conditions
  • Viewed by management as a requirement rather than an asset
  • Stress of medicals and regular performance checks
  • General stress on the job itself
  • Disgust of having no option but to P2F
I realise that it may be a bit late in the process for me to get cold feet however I do still have the option to return to a respectable career in electrical engineering starting back on a salary of about £25k. The flying to date has only cost me in terms of loss of earnings during the time spent training (family contact, very very lucky).

So here’s the question(s):
1. For those pilots with first hand UK low cost carrier experience, are my concerns well founded?
2. If so, if you were in my position (26yr old) would you:
a) Stomach the negatives listed above and continue with the flying career?

Or,
b) Jump at the opportunity for a stable, secure, (but lower paid) 9-5 career and ditch all the stress and life turmoil?

Thanks in advance for any responses...