PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best university for AME?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 21:57
Flatface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IT is never too late, just depends when you are willing to give up

It is never too late for anything, however, age 25 is late to begin in pilot training, you will need to accumulate as much as 4500 hours before a major Canadian airline will hire you. Keep in mind you are competing for jobs with your peers, if they are your age and have many thousands of hours of pilot in command time, you will be relegated to flying as an instructor at a small flying club or some other aviation job that does not pay as much as major airlines. It all depends what you want.

In the airline I work at, 850 AMEs were laid off recently. Aviation maintenance is being sent to third world countries where they can get the work done for pennies on the dollar. There are still AMEs on the ramp that work the flights between legs and overnight inspections and smaller repairs. Heavy maintenance is finished here as far as I can see. The airline that I work at just sold off it's maintenance branch and now will ask all providers to bid on this work.

One final opportunity you have not mentioned in your search is the military. You will be paid to fly from day one and it will be the most interesting and exciting flying you could ever do. Airline flying is not very exciting and is very routine.