PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plan A Or Plan B
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 16:33
3 Phase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Bala,

I think quite a number of replies you will get to your post will be quite disheartening as many people in the aviation industry at the moment are suffering. Obviously depending on who you talk to you will receive a different opinion and outlook on the industry at the moment but you shouldn't let that put you off in the way of your ambitions or dreams. The trouble I think that you will have the most is the fact that you want to be a pilot. Perhaps it would be better if you focused on your true ambition?

With regards to Aircraft Maintenance, it is definitely not an easy option. Obviously it depends on where you want to be in this field. With regards to hands on aircraft work, I am quite sure many will tell you that the EASA or FAA licence is the way to go. There are many different paths that can be taken to achieve this but all encounter some mandatory requirements which include the modular exams. I am sure with the level of aptitude you have, you certainly would not have a problem with the examination requirements. This isn't a cheap option either and I am quite sure you would have to invest somewhat a great deal of money. Of course the requirements also state that you must have physical maintenance experience in which 5 years is required for a "self starter" or if you attend a Part 147 approved course, you only require 2 years in a Part 145 maintenance organisation. This is really where I think you will have the trouble. Most organisations seem to be firing and not hiring at the moment. With little experience it could certainly be a risk for the company. Also with the fact that there are many well experience and already licenced individuals out on the circuit at the moment, employment may be said to be unlikely. I know many new starters out there having to look elsewhere because the jobs are just not available at the moment. For more information on licensing, have a look at the ELGD on the CAA's website. That will give you a better understanding of the requirements.

As for the management side, I don't think I could comment. I don't have any experience myself in this field so therefore me trying to provide advice would effectively be worthless. Perhaps a more seasoned professional could advise you better on the options available.

Either way, it does not change the fact that your ambition is to become a pilot. If it was me in your shoes, I would carefully consider that you would have to invest a large amount of money and also spend many years training with no guarantee for success at the end of it. This is obviously very similar for a pilot. So given the choice, why not take the one you really want?

This is all just my opinion, feel free to comment.