PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel Air vs RFDS for the Air Ambulance contract in Australia
Old 28th Jul 2010, 14:59
Al Fentanyl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truthboy said
Best tender wins. Simple as that
Is the "BEST" tender the CHEAPEST, or the one that does the task most effectively, with the highest quality and standards? For my money I would prefer that I, my friends and family are flown by RFDS. If it costs a few more dollars in my taxes, I can live with that.

How would you feel if one year they start looking at a contract your company holds
Given that to my (limited) knowledge RFDS does not and never has considered entering General Aviation charter; if they did, using their same philosophy of the most appropriate and up-to-date aircraft and crews trained to the highest standards, it is unlikely they would do much, as the GA marketplace is crowded with operators who offer a rock-bottom price in the oldest and cheapest airframes and drivers they legally can. A 'level playing field' in the context you suggest would be one where all prospective aeromedical operators had to match the standards set by RFDS.

I am DAMN sure that if Julia or one of the State leaders, or their family, needed aeromedical transport, they would not be using the cheapest bidder. Why should the taxpaying public be treated any differently?

I have worked in FW & RW aeromedical services with a number of government and private providers. I know several RFDS people as well as Careflight and other aeromedical people and I like what the RFDS do and the way they do it. I like that they put anything they make out of service provision, contracts and donations into continuing their traditional services in the unprofitable bush, which no other operator does or is interested in doing, while keeping their standards high, and that they have done so for the past 85-odd years when no-one else was interested because there was no money in it.

RFDS is not perfect, but they have a great record and a great philosophy. It is sad to see Aussies rubbishing one of our National icons.