PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair exodus, what is the plan?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 10:20
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bia Botal has is right, no one will actually know what the actual crewing scenario is besides Ryanair itself. Rumour fills the air here like a thick fog. One day no body is leaving and the next day half the crew are upping sticks. Pilots are naturally inquisitive soles and have a burning interest in the next best thing. However when push comes to shove, actually making the commitment to move, especially far a field, doesn't come easy; no matter how serious they sound when chatting in the corner of the crewroom or at FL370.

It's fairly certain that FR will be losing crew in the coming months to the likes of Emirates; however I strongly doubt it is going to be a 'mass exodus.' We are all working hard at the moment which suggests that crewing levels are covering capacity. There are people working occasional days off, however as bia suggests; this is freeing up standby cover as and when. There has been no talk of crews doing regular out of base rotations, suffering from constant roster alterations or being under continual pressure to work a 6th day. That to me would be the real indicator that crewing are starting to suffer. Until then we appear set to ride this summer out. Crew levels will be more than adequate for the winter. Then potkettleblack will have his chance to see a few aircraft parked up!!

The continual rumbling is that we are short on Captains, however that's been the case since I joined. This, in my opinion, is based on projected growth. The airline knows that it needs to keep the flow to the LHS going. As for favouring DECs? I think its more based on the fact that it doesn't have any other option. The internal CU process doesn't even cover it, and that's even if everyone were to pass so I'm told. Plan B may indeed be hiring a few command ready FOs. However this has been attempted before and had limited success.

On the other hand, growth will eventually stop (within 2 to 3 years?) If we do hit a double dip recession then attrition will again be low. The burning desire for CUs and DECs will be a thing of the past. High time career FOs at Ryanair anyone?