PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe Terms and Conditions
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 06:49
Knee Trembler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could all be so different!

At the end of 2008, when I was made redundant from my last job, I had the (enviable) choice between Flybe and my current employer. Both fly Q400 / Emd 195 and both pay about the same. The difference is that my company has one of the best pilots' agreements I have experienced. The highlights include:

- 120 days off a year;
- guaranteed 30 off in 90;
- maximum 5 days on;
- overtime above 140 duty hrs per month (35 hrs pw) at ca. 35 € per duty hr;
- roster changes inside 3 days voluntary and paid at 100 € per change.

Now, for that we are away an awful lot (15 nights this month) but the hotels are first class and breakfast is included (rapidly becoming a luxury) and free WLAN is generally included (a requirement for the EFB).

All that doesn't happen by itself and we are continually being told that we are too expensive and inflexible - my god, the company even pays the type rating! Until last year, the pay was really derisory (basically Eastern Airways level), but after a lot of sabre rattling, two half day strikes sealed the deal at 16.8%, which in the middle of the financial crisis was a pretty good result.

The moral of the story, until you get yourselves together and down tools nothing is likely to improve. I suggest all of you writing here take a look at yourselves and ask what you are doing about it. Are you at least in BALPA? It always amazes me how many people complain and then admit to not even being in a union.

At some point in the future I would like to come back to the UK and Flybe would be one of my preferred employers, but until some of the issues mentioned here are addressed I would find it very hard to sign on the dotted line.

KT