PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching people to land a PA28
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 06:36
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tuppence worth:

Where on earth is this "over the fence" place? Where I fly from there is a displaced threshold and if I cut the power when crossing the 'fence' I would most definitely land short.

So -

How about a nice stable trimmed approach at the POH speed.
Power to maintain glidepath, attitude for speed.
From about 100ft, don't look in, ever. Remember, you should be nicely configured and the speed shouldn't be changing significantly.
As you pass 50ft (about the same height as surrounding buildings, trees, lamposts etc) raise the nose to your normal level attitude (you know, the one you normally use for S&L at about 2300rpm)
Coincidentally, reduce power to idle - don't cut the throttle, just gently reduce it.
Keep the aircraft straight (rudder)
Wait.
The aircraft will start to slow down (you shouldn't notice this as you're not looking in) and descend towards the runway. You will feel this 'sink'
Try to stop this sink by smoothly applying increased back pressure. You don't want the aircraft to land.
Don't use any brisk control inputs.
As the mainwheels touchdown, maintain or even increase the back pressure to try and stop the nosewheel touching down.
When learning, never, ever allow the yoke to go forward once you commence the flare. If you over-flare (balloon), just stop the progressive application of back pressure for a moment or intitiate a go-around. After a while, you will develop techniques to resolve this scenario.

Oh, and relax.