PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging height above runway.
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 00:55
GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mary meagher
I recommend beginning the flare at the height of the average elephant, or the view from the top front seat in a London bus. And then gently and progressively moving the stick back, wait, back, wait, wait, wait, until it settles like a gentle leaf upon the greensward.
When I was learning to fly powered jobs, I had to forget everything I'd learned from flying Sedburghs and Cadet 3s. One of my gliding instructors said that I'd make a good flyingboat pilot. That's because my ex gliding instructor dad had coached me to fly on, just above stall and, as soon as the ground was felt, ease the stick forward and let the skid wind the speed off. It aint going to tip.

Remembering the view on the deck in a light/microlight machine isn't, to me, overly useful. In the hold off, the nose attitude is "up" and not that helpful; unless you've flown level for the last foot or so with no excess speed. A glance sideways is a big help (I've twice landed directly into a setting sun and sideways was the only place to look). Also, once your intended flare point has stopped drifting up and down the window and you know you're in, the end of the runway is the only point to concentrate on. Looking at your intended flare point approaching the flare just invites over control and a porpoise arrival.

For what it's worth; I learn from every flight.