PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching people to land a PA28
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2010, 00:17
Halfbaked_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The technique I use on 90% of aeroplanes is very simple...

Ensure I am at Vat (or 1.3 Vs if this isn't available) and at a suitable height at the point I cross the threshold (or perhaps meginally earlier), at which point, I kill the power completely, and plan not to touch it again. All you need to do then is look at the picture develop and make suitable control inputs to ensure a mainwheel landing.

This works very well in smooth air - in practice (and 99% of the time), you'll have a few gusts and therms to deal with, which will/may require a squeeze of power and adjustment of pitch during the flare to fine it off.

My personal opinion is that a 'hold off' should be made as short as possible if the performance figures are to be achieved, and that the problem a lot of people have is they think if they don't have any power on during the flare the aeroplane will simply drop out of the sky. Generally not true, but of course be ready to push a little in if required! I also believe a lot of people forget about the last 5-10 knots above the stall in which the aeroplane will still be flying and quite controllable, and that it is within this area that you can make or break a good landing.

All the best and happy landings.