PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAA CEO Good Value?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2010, 21:43
BFJH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well n8862v, if you can persuade the CAA to let us adopt such a system we will all be eternally grateful. The simple fact is that LAA can only operate the system that CAA lay down, and unfortunately the UK is not as liberal as the French, Spanish (though I know little about the Spanish system and take your word for it being simpler) and Americans when it comes to regulating light aviation.
Quite what EAA would do in the UK I know not (and I have been a member for some years). They do have a strong lobbying voice and they do offer advice to builders, but the airworthiness aspects of Experimentals are regulated by the FAA.
The real measure is not the £10 you used to pay in France, nor the four shillings I used to pay for a gallon of petrol when I had my first motorbike, it is whether today, owning and operating an LAA Permit aircraft is a less expensive option than running a Cof A aircraft, and in my experience, and I have no doubt the vast majority of LAA aircraft owners will agree, the answer is an unequivocal yes it is.
It should also be considered that the aircraft types we operate today are considerately more complex than they were 20 years ago. The ultra simple low powered, fixed pitch, fixed prop low performance VP1 and Luton Minor, great little aeroplanes though they are, have been replaced by sophisticated 150mph plus retractable, ultra lightweight construction, constant speed prop turning, glass panel equipped sportsters that actually do demand a higher level of maintenance management. Much as we'd like to go back to a simpler, less regulated lifestyle I'm afraid society will not allow us to do so.