PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment VII
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2010, 21:11
kenyan85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To hopefulke, Tik and njesh

Hi guys, it's encouraging to see you people representing Kenya and East Africa as a whole.

My Emirates story began in 2008, it was a chance occurrence, I had no interest in the aviation industry and now it's safe to say I can't stop thinking about it hehe.

In 2008, I got invited to the Nairobi AD. I was in a group of 7 males and 80 ladies. I was the only male to make it to the Final Interview, the rest were female. Suffice it to say, I was rejected.

Flash forward to 2010. Can you believe it when I tell you I was the only male to make it to the Final Interview again? Yup. This time I thought nothing would be in my way, but unfortunately it was not to be. I made a fatal error during the Final Interview when I criticized my previous employer. It was all downhill from there.

My advice is - do not stand out. Do not be aggressive. The interview starts when the recruiters walk through the door. They will be constantly watching you. Be kind to the other ladies, do not view them as competition. The aggressive ones, I remember, were eliminated the first.

Dress appropriately, and if possible try and emulate the Emirates uniform, and be gracious. Do not speak out of turn. Try and relax. Smile like your life depends on it. Do not show fatigue. It will be a long day. They need to see you as fresh as you were in the morning at the end of the day.

If you are lucky to make it to the Final Interview, rehearse a few previous work experience scenarios, but not verbatim. The two recruiters will be playing a role - one will be very bubbly and friendly, and the other cold and grouchy. Pay more attention to the cold and grouchy one. If you are to land the job, most of the passengers will more often than not be grouchy. Be patient with her and don't let her bring you down with her constant questions about why you didn't bring your letter of employment, passport etc. Remember, this is a test.

In my experience, Emirates does have a certain look, or 'prototype', so to speak. Youthful looking, above average looks, dynamic, great energy, caring, great smile, smart and passive aggressive. If none of the above words describe you, not to worry. You can always fake it during the AD.

I cannot re-apply for the duration of a year. I will definitely try out next year April. Let's hope the third time will be a charm.

All in all, don't take the whole interview too seriously. If it was meant to be, it was meant to be. Good luck and God bless x

Last edited by kenyan85; 27th Jul 2010 at 21:26.