PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual aviation jobs.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2002, 09:15
poteroo

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Worst flight ever was with a stretchered national suffering advanced gangrene in a leg injury, which was unimaginably putrid. The poor bugga was delerious and had 2 medical bois sitting on top of him, and they bravely continued this restraint once in the 185 too.

When I caught the first whiff, some quick thinking and unfastened the LH window of the old c185 so it rode up to the wing. Then waited till he was loaded in...ran for the 185 taking a bloody deep breath...into the drivers seat...fastest startup in history...onto the strip at Rabaraba...off in a bloody flash with head out the window...and kept it there for the several minutes it took to get to the Mission hospital at Wedau.....shutdown at 40kts....out of the seat and disembarked so fast I was able to join the welcoming party!!

A very very hardened missionary Sista walked up....took a whifff...and said to me...YOU WERE MEANT TO PICK THIS LOT UP YESTERDAY - NO WONDER HE'S RIPE!! That was it for me....off to the baret for an inspection of the local weeds!

Florence Nightingale must have been blessed with no sense of smell!!

cheers