PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging height above runway.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2010, 15:01
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.k. Chuck, can you elaborate on this and explain to someone like me (student pilot, learning to fly on an Aeronca Champ at a 1250m x 30m asphalt runway) how I can become better at judging height at the flare?
First find an instructor who understands how to teach landings.

That instructor will explain that during the final stage of the approach ( From around two hundred feet above the ground. ) you look at the point on the runway where you plan to flare the airplane from the approach attitude to the level attitude.

During this stage of the approach the instructor counts down the height from fifty feet to the point at which the flare is started.

( Approximately twenty feet in most little bug smashers. )

( And using ten foot segments to thirty feet then five foot segments to five feet above the runway, and then in one foot segments. )

From the flare point until wheel contact you shift your sight line ahead of the airplane looking down the runway to the point at which apparent movement ceases, which is about five hundred feet, looking to far down the runway will degrade your ability to accurately " SEE " your height above the runway.

You will learn to identify the picture you need to be seeing and thus learn what to look for as you arrive at the flare height above the runway.

I also video tape these lessons and use the tape as a teaching tool to better show the student where they should be looking at any given time,( I freeze the picture to better describe what they should be looking at. ) and also to have the student tell me where they were looking at that moment.

Generally they were looking to far ahead, which is why they were not able to accurately judge their height at that moment.