PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Photographer's Harness
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2010, 10:59
Dieselpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi NRH

I do a fair ammount of aerial photography in the R44. The normal rules apply (rule 5) and also make sure you do not fly the helicopter is such manner that if you have a power unit failure you won't be able to make a safe landing.

I take every unnecessary loose object out of the helicopter (i.e sick bags, briefing cards ect) when removing the doors. I only take the rear right door off so no objects can fly into the tail rotor and you also get the advantage of seeing what the photographer is trying to capture. Remember the helicopters limitations when doors are removed.

With regards to the photographer I use a normal climbing harness with a strong climbing rope attached with two carabinas attached to him and a structural point in the helicopter. Also the camera has to be sercurly attached to the photographer himself (I use a thin steel cable with recorders). I also have him strapped in with the standard seatbelts. Make sure he does not have any loose articals or lenses on his camera and if he does change them in flight make sure there is an assistant to help him.

Hope this can help

Regards

DP