PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair pilot roster
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2010, 09:48
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that there are no 'normal rosters' in any airline...but it would be nice to know the average length of a duty day? 5hrs? 8hrs? 14hrs?
A typical duty day will comprise of 2 long sectors or typically 4 sectors which can derive or 2 medium/longish sectors and 2 short 'domestic' sectors. FDPs seem to average around the 7-8hr mark but do extend to 10 (and a bit further ). There are also some shorter FDPs, however in my opinion these feature more in the winter. 6 sector days are not unheard of, yet at the same time aren't a feature of each and every base. The company policy per Ops Part A is crew check-in at -45mins STD (some bases require a little longer, especially if you prefer a more relaxed pace at 5am on your first set of earlies for the week!)

What about monthly duty totals? (FDP and duty?)
A few basic facts. You can't exceed 190 duty hours in 28 consecutive days or 60 duty hours over 7 consecutive days. However 5/4 (or 5/3 for that matter) wouldn't permit this anyway. FDP for myself this week is close to 38 hours (full five days of duty). It can be more (in the summer obviously) and it will be less in the winter. Block hours are restricted to 900 per year. The year runs 01 April to 31 March. Cpts can be expected to fly between 800-900. FOs 600-750.

I have to say that 5 on 4 off sounds VERY appealing. Do Ryanair offer 'Request Days Off' or anyway to get special weekend off you might need?
You can 'request' any day off that you want through the internal system. Response time is usually pretty good. Whether you get it or not is another matter. I have never attempted to make any sense of the 'system' used to determine leave because you basically can't. During this time of year, it may be more productive and less frustrating to arrange a 'swap.'

Yes, besides Ryanair management continually 'banging on' about how we have industry leading rosters (usually as part of a grease down pre penetration!! ) I do admit that 5/4 is pretty good.

What about leave? How much do you get and when can you take it? (summer/winter)
See ballyboley's comments. If you are agency, you apply directly to them (who then contact rostering). If you are Ryanair then you apply directly to rostering.