PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 27th Jul 2010, 08:34
error_401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 cents worth into the thread.

I've been an observer on an acceptance flight for an ATR72 in Toulouse with test pilot from ATR on right hand seat and flight test engineer on jump.

Aircraft is kept in level flight with a bit over flight idle power until:

1st stick shaker activates
2nd stick pusher activates

I wanted to know about the margins and this is what I've been told: There should be about 2 degrees AoA more before the wing actually stalls. The stick pusher will activate while the wing is still stable to fly.

IMHO: I would always go for pitch and then power. At height I would accept an altitude loss. I hope NEVER TO FIND myself in a FAR/JAR 25 aircraft near stall and then experience a wing drop because it has fully stalled!
I would always refrain from using rudder else as to minimize sideslip and then only after the wing is flyable again.

What do we learn:
- Modern aircraft even ATR with conventional controls have no pronounced low speed buffet therefore stick shaker
- Stick pusher activates WELL BEFORE entering a wing stall else it would be pointless to have it but is based on AoA.
- Nevertheless I agree with BOAC/PBL when you leave normal flight envelopes you're out on your own and it may stall before stick pusher.