PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2010, 23:24
7x7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could we take it as a given that the attitude of current senior Army officers is on average more conservative than current senior RAAF officers? If that's accepted, (I know some won't), I recall the attitude of senior RAAF officers 30 years ago to allowing reservists anywhere near their precious aeroplanes, so I can well believe that 'Like This - Do That' is on the money in his comments about the attitude to the current Army brass to the use of reservists.

It's a pity he's right, because surely to God even Blind Freddie can see that keeping people (and not just pilots) semi-current with (at least) an couple of weeks annual commitment for the first five years after they leave full time service is to everyone's advantage.

It almost makes as much sense as having a second tier of cheap, easy to maintain helicopters to do the simple stuff (even if they're not partially manned by reservists) that allows the complex, expensive top shelf Tigers and MRH-90s to be reserved for the tasks where their capabilities are required.

I know if I was a ground commander in desperate (or even not so desperate) need to helo support, I'd rather make do with a not quite suitable Huey (or similar) than do without, as I fear 95% of ground commanders will have to do if we have only a small number of MRH-90s available.