PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2002, 04:00
SASless

Received 553 Likes on 224 Posts
The truth of the matter is that there are very many fine Nigerians who also suffer from the chaos that goes on within that country. As in any situation where foreigners are heavily engaged in work there is bound to be some resentment of them by the local guys. I can easily accept Nigerians too can be proud of their country and their people. That being said, they must also admit to themselves that the reality of the situation is that the current corruption, inter-tribal clashes, disintergration of the police and courts can not be a positive influence on the future of the country or its people.

It does not matter if you are robbed, murdered, or assaulted in Dallas, Lagos, or London....the result is the same. The point that in Nigeria your chances of being victimized is greater is factually correct. The statement that several of my friends have been murdered or whatever and because I don't like snow and ice...thus I prefer Nigeria ......well, now that is quite an interesting statement! Time for a reality check here I think.....and that statement does not pass the BS check.

My last Copilot was writing his doctorate's thesis on corruption in Nigeria....I joked with him that the condensed version would run to about 4,000 volumes. He was focusing upon corruption in relief organizations and I am sure it will be a very interesting paper when submitted to Oxford. I learned a lot from talking to him.