PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jepp plates now on ipad
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2010, 12:37
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
invest in a panel fit unit or buy a Garmin 695
A couple of issues there.

Anything you put in the panel is going to go down the plughole if you get a total electrical failure - a not impossible scenario in a light aircraft especially SE.

This is the huge attraction of some kind of a handheld moving map product, and if it can display plates that's a bonus.

This is also why it is better to have approach plates on a battery-powered device and not in a panel mounted MFD. Plus the readability issue at the reading distance in the latter case...

And with a handheld radio, you have a battery backup for nav+comms Done with just two items of "gadgetry" I have a G496 mounted in the yoke, very neatly, so the handheld radio is the only "loose" item.

The other thing is that no panel mounted plate display solution can use the free EAD plates. You are stuck with the ultra pricey Jepp as the only option. I am sure the vast majority of European pilots who have a plate-capable MFD are not paying for this option.

Finally I don't think a 695 can display European plates of any kind - but it is a good moving map product. But it cannot display any "printed" VFR maps, or any user-supplied moving map images.

So many half-solutions

Last edited by IO540; 26th Jul 2010 at 14:24.