PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jepp plates now on ipad
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2010, 10:26
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an interesting aside from the Apple bashing.....

The iPad meets the definition of a Class 1 EFB using Type A applications (no dynamic or interactive data). I understand that there is already an application for approval of it in this category with the FAA pending.

As someone who for many years made a living on a corporate scale from the endless upgrades and fixes that the Microsoft family provides I always regarded Apple with suspicion and a certain element of only being bought by beardy weirdes and fan boys. However after buying my first Mac I was stunned by the reliability and ease of use and have becomes a convert owning the full range off Apple goodies from iPhone 4, iPad to iMac and Macbooks and even AppleTV. They all do what they say on the tin and have proven reliable. We don't even own a PC in our house now and for the few occasions when I need a PC which is basically flitestar I just run parallels.

I happen to think the iPad is a very impressive tool. I run a variety of aviation apps on it that I use in the day job and then when we are in the hotel at night, I have email, web and can watch my slingbox all on a device with amazing battery life.

I don't need a PC in the cockpit, I don't need to attach sat phones and moving map GPS. I can use the Garmins that my own and work aircraft are fitted with and I can use the radio to get the latest weather. Filling a light aircraft to the gunnels with plugged in technology is frankly a turn off for me, I don't need it and manage to get around perfectly well.

I do like the iPads ability to display cockpit readable plates and have been using it for that and for filing flight plans etc on the go. I have accumulated a little collection of PAYGO sims from around Europe now for the occasions when I cant find WiFi, but to be honest even those are getting fewer and far between.

is it perfect? Not even close. Is it matched by anything else? Not even close.