PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic flight progress strips....what system is the best
Old 26th Jul 2010, 09:26
japanac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

There are many suppliers of (Electronic Flight Progress Strips) EFPS solutions, but here you have to be careful and firstly to clarify what do you need exactly.
You said that you need it for Tower operations, fine, but it is only a starting point in defining your needs.
Some of the other factors that need to be defined are:
- which FDP is serving your tower operations today
- are you happy with all its functionalities
- is your intention to integrate EFPS with your existing FDP or you would need a new FDP to fully accomodate your needs/expectations
- do you want to automate certain ATCO tasks with your EFPS
- do you need SYSCO functionality
- do you need safety nets tools
- what are your needs for configuring sectorisation of CWPs
- do you need to have it integrated with SMGCS
- etc.....

Keep in mind that main enabler for all functionalities/tools that ATCO has in one ATC system (in your case TWR EFPS) is your FDP. What you see and interact with on the disply on your CWP has to be supported by good FDP in order to be useful.
Be awear that ATM system suppliers are very careful and precise in using the terms/expresions/vocabulary when you are ordering something from them.
Which can mean that you ask for electronic strips with the certain layout/look as an interaction device, you get it , but you do not get desired functionalities because they are enabled by another module/sub-system that you did not ask for. Of course this example I give is a bit of exaguration just to ilustrate what can happen during this process.

I had experiance with Thales system (Eurocat T) for me it works well in line with ATCO logic, it is modular which means can be deployed in several levels of complexity depending on requirements.