PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith's letter to the PM re Tasmania.
Old 26th Jul 2010, 08:03
peuce

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just to prove I'm not always negative, here's a suggestion for fixing the "Launceston Problem" .

Dear Mr Albanese,

I am impressed with your expertise, and strength, whilst using a sledghammer to open an accorn, however, perhaps a more subtle approach may be in order.

As a suggestion, how about this:
  1. Let's presume that a Jet is late once at each of, say, 10 Towers, each week of the year. That would amount to about $40,000 in late fees for the year. How about you return $40,000 of the tax that the Industry pays each year ... to cover that and make it mandatory that Jets call out the Tower ... if late. Short term problem solved.
  2. For the longer term, as surveillance technology and equipment develops and becomes readily available, get ASA to include it in its capital program and gradually deploy it across the country, on a priority list. At that time, upgrade the Control structure in those locations to a surveillance based one.
    But remember to take into account the airborne equipment requirements as well. Long term problem solved.

I trust you'll take these suggestions in the spirit in which they were given.

Your mate peuce.