PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF/Army Relations - History
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2010, 04:12
Bushranger 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocket Attack Vung Tau Airfield, 22 Apr 68

The following imagery has been referred to in previous posts this thread and is offered just for interest and historical awareness. There were 2 x 122mm rocket attacks on that day with minimal casualties on the airfield if I recall correctly. The first image is the RAAF hangar shared by Nos 9 & 35 Squadrons which had been constructed by a RAAF Airfield Construction Squadron sadly since disbanded. 9SQN Iroquois revetments are at top right of the picture.

The next image is a USAF Caribou destroyed by an enemy 122mm rocket. The 9/35 hangar was about 70 or so metres from the tip of the left tailplane.

The third image is self-explanatory illustrating the enemy rocket flight path just across the edge of the RAAF hangar where the 9SQN night dustoff crew were accommodated.

I am baling out of this thread now and I trust that enough has been said to dispel or at least diminish much of the mythology and misinformation maligning the RAAF and 9SQN since the end of Vietnam War involvement in 1971.

I will now focus on compiling a few threads for the Aviation History & Nostalgia forum to create broader awareness of some aspects of the Vietnam campaign and they should begin appearing a week or so downstream.

For Megan re your post #34; these intended new posts will embrace helo formation flying practices.

'Bye for now.

Last edited by Bushranger 71; 26th Jul 2010 at 04:35.