PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2010, 00:05
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr A Tis -

Interesting observation you make there. I have also passed through MUC on four recent occasions (2 x Arr, 2 x Dep). On one of the arrivals there was a time-consuming bus transfer involved, and on the most recent departure we were kept in a dismal holding area for ages because there was nobody to staff passport control for the early flights (SIA328 in this case). The wunderbar airside facilities are only wunderbar if you can reach them! But they are very wunderbar then! However, kudos to the four bored German passengers who found some stray wheelchairs and proceeded to race each other around the floorspace for 15 minutes of (completely unchallenged) gleeful squealing!

At the ultra-modern state-of-the-art airports at Abu Dhabi and Shanghai Pudong I have recently experienced immigration delays of 60+ and 90+ minutes respectively. And on two recent transfers through Dubai I experienced the longest airside bus transfer ever. (Actually I rather enjoyed the impromptu comprehensive ramp tour, but that's just me!).

I do not mention these occurrences to complain (well OK - except for the MUC holding area - really dire!). I do so to illustrate the point that even in the world's most modern no-expense-spared terminals these same problems still occur as a matter of course. Manchester is worse than some but better than many (and it is comparatively rare to be bussed from an international flight at MAN). Manchester has also had to contend with stringent new security directives imposed on a knee-jerk basis by the state over recent years. Considering that the buildings were never designed with these requirements in mind, MAG have actually done pretty well in adapting the place to cope as smoothly as it does.

Queueing, and security/immigration delays happen at every major airport. MAN is not exceptional in this regard; even the new showpiece terminals around the world face the same dilemmas daily. I guess we'd better stop moaning, show some of that famous British stiff-upper-lip and just get on with it!

By the way, good to see you're still traveling extensively, Mr. A Tis! Do stop by to compare notes sometime. You know I do a mean glass of Vimto!

All the best.

SHED.