PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2010, 22:25
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DD,

You said that I think:

PS. Regulars in all arms of the Services traditionally regard reservists as unable to do their jobs. History usually proves them wrong.
Well, those on here who know me must have wet themselves; I've never been a regular, and I hold the view that as a reservist, with proper training, I'm fully able to do the job at least as well as my regular counterparts - indeed, on occasion, rather better. So that's that prejudice dealt with.

My point is that whether or not you helmed a Nimrod sans conversion training, supervising crew or type rating about at 1000' as you claim, it's not the same as driving a 737 about - you need to be trained and to practice the combat elements of the engagement to ensure that you and your crew (lucky them! ) can prosecute the targets across the missions sets.

And I'm not against qualified reservist aircrew from civvie street. I had a friend who went through reserve commissioning and was effective in what he did - as well as being a BA FO on 777 at the time, now a 737 Capt - turned to 216 Sqn with a TriStar type rating from Cathay and 1500 hours as an FO, he was politely turned away as he hadn't done a military wings course. This to me was absurd- he certainly could have taken a TriStar to MPA (back when Timmy did these things) - but he wasn't allowed to fly an RAF airliner that he was qualified on as an airliner (no mention of AAR here) as he wasn't a QSP. I think that in these specific cases there should be an option - but that's not the same as what you're proposing (unless we get some C-40Bs....)

I'm not - and have never claimed to be - aircrew. But I am clear that the amount of training time the UK reserves get at the current time is scarcely sufficient to ensure that I and my team don't suffer skill fade to the extent that we can't make a useful contribution. Unless you've done it - and I'm not aware of any RNR SSN crews - then I suggest that you perhaps need to do a little more research on the UK reserve forces.

S41