PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA Cessna 180's in PNG
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2010, 20:43
Skywagon1915

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
MAF C185's

Have you ever seen any articles on MAF operation's in PNG ? How many MF registered C180/185 were up there over time. I know from one ex-MAF pilot that by end of 1984, there was 4 remaining 185's: MFF, MFU, MFW and MFX, with MFF being the oldest. MFU last log book entry was 25 August 1990 when operated by Brian and Jillian Bromley (Tonda Trading) at Bensbach Lodge. He purchased it around August 1987 and I'm told never got to take it home straight away as he/his pilot pranged it doing a type check with MAF prior to delivery. It had 9404 TT on it by 1990 and whilst having work done on the fuselage following the accident CC refer's to at Moorehead, it has been in storage via several owners until 6 July, when I picked it up and took it to Lismore. This week should see it standing on it's leg's again ... very exciting.

For anyone wondering where MFU was parked in the PNG pictures above, they were taken by a ex-MAF pilot at Bunapas, a strip along the Ramu River in Madang Province.

I had another ex-MAF/Catholic Church (Fr Jeromy Flynn) 185 which was P2-BAM which I restored and operated at Moree NSW for years. It was sold in 1989 and is now in Invercargil NZ, where I saw it a couple of years ago. It had over 10,000 TT talking to the Kiwi owner. At the time I bought BAM, Fr Flynn offered me the 2 185's he had, BAM and BAF for $10k ! I bought BAM for $6k and thought "why the heck would I want 2 of them !".

I'm collecting and recording as much info on MFU I can find, so would appreciate any pictures you guy's have upstairs, or any recollections of flying the plane in your day/day life. Apart from Avionics, I'm thinking of presenting it back in original MAF colours (Tiger Yellow), but may also do it up as a personal aircraft. Does anyone know where I could locate a Cessna Cargo Pod for her ?

Last edited by Skywagon1915; 25th Jul 2010 at 21:41. Reason: Insert picture