PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doctor to Airline Pilot
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2010, 18:47
bala_murali

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Plan A Or Plan B

hi there guys
I joined this forum about 7 months back and after a long time it is nice to see some optimistic replies.
I did read many post in this thread and it gave me alot of hope .
I am basically in the same boat as many people here . Always wanted to be a pilot since my childhood. I am from India.i just turned 25 years this week back. I have done my bachelors degree in Electrical and electronics engineering and have worked i dell computers for 2 years (P.S- i hate my job )I have two plans as of now . I did do my research regarding pilot training for many months .But nothing is going my way . though of taking a educational loan to do my flight training in Canada .But from speaking to people both here and some people i came to know who are in the aviation field i came to a conclusion there there is noway i could end up with a job as a pilot at the end of my training in order to pay up my loans .So here is my plan :

PLAN A- AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE ENGINEERING
To do a course in Ame which i am very much interested in also .But from what i researched there is no masters degree in AME. There is diploma or Bsc(hons). My friends and well wishers told me its would be idiotic to do a diploma course and after finishing my Bachelors degree. But screw them i am not looking for fame or a name that a masters degree can give me here. i want to be in the field that i am interested (Aviation).

Plan B-. MASTERS IN AVIATION MANAGEMENT
I heard many people tell that in aviation everything is about networking. I did have some subjects regarding management in my last year of engineering and they were pretty interesting too. Many did advice me that this would be a better path to take compared a AME's job since geting a license as an AME takes another 2 years after working as a appearance.And also job oppurtunities of aviation management is much higher when compared to AME( Dont know if that true !!).And people

At the end i want to become a pilot . I have cleared my class2 and class 1 medicals.The problem is i would be in a huge debt if i don get a job as a pilot once i complete my training. Both PLAN A AND PLAN B seemed to much more affordable than pilot training. I want to study in the field of aviation , get a job in aviation field collect some contact on the way if possible ,slowly but steadily do my pilot training while working.i do know it is kinda of a long shot but its definitely better than living a safe life wondering WHAT if ?? all the time .
From your experience tell me which would be a better path to take to achieve my dream (to be an commercial aviator)..PLAN A OR PLAN B. .Hope your suggestion would lead a way for me!.
And guys when I HIT my dream shot THE BEERS ON ME Thanks a million for your time ..Cheers .