PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 25th Jul 2010, 05:16
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forget aileron UNTIL you have unstalled the wing.
And providing you have instantly pushed the stick forward when the stall is detected, then that takes less than two seconds to unstall the wing. So would it be correct to say that for all intents and purposes the stick forward and aileron as needed to roll wings level is simultaneous.

On the other hand, to take this rudder thing to a ridiculous degree I was astonished to have a senior flying school instructor tell me that on final approach in a Cessna 152 which has a Vref of 54 knots,his students are taught never to use the ailerons below 60 knots IAS to correct bank angle. Instead they must ensure the wheel is central and control bank angle by carefully "skidding" the wings level using rudder in case they are close to the stall.

When a CFI of a flying school teaches that to his student instructors on an instructors course, then no wonder the standard of the flying industry where I come from is appalling. The regulator,in the form of local flight ops inspectors, have no idea this goes on under the very noses, because they are too busy travelling around the countryside trawling through flying school paperwork audits and writing audit reports criticising the operator for using non standard sub-paragraph format in their Operations Manuals. OK - that is a generalisation; but believe me its not far from the truth all the same.