PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Pilots at Emirates
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2010, 00:01
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Americans fail because.....................

Carlsonclan,

Do you have any previous international living experience? How about your immediate family, has your spouse ever lived overseas? Moving to the Middle East is not like changing domiciles and moving from Texas to California; except hotter, the population speaks a different language, wears pajamas and those “funny rag things on their head”.

Americans have many strengths and enviable qualities. Unfortunately, many Americans (U.S. Citizen not resident of North, Central or South America) are ill prepared to flourish overseas. Sometimes our mindset works against us.For example in the U.S.A. there is one system of justice for people (not claiming it is perfect-I know $ talks). If you get into a traffic accident with somebody in the U.S. the justice system does not give you an advantage because you are a citizen and the other party is not. You cannot claim (for example) that the other party is at fault because they are a foreigner. In the Middle East the justice system is completely stacked in favor of the national, by structure.

Being an American you have the expectation of “equal representation under the Law”. Well, it is not so in the Middle East. As an American you may want to argue with me about the superiority of our system-in the Middle East they don’t care about you, your system, or your expectations.We are not all exactly alike, and really wanting the same things only separated by colour and language.

As an American many of our basic assumptions about how things work prove to be invalid when dealing with the Middle East. “Look ‘em right in the eye”, “give them a firm handshake” “tell ‘em what you really think” “don’t beat around the bush, get to the point” “talk loudly and clearly and speak your mind” may all work just fine in Texas but may not always produce the results you want in the Middle East.

In the U.S.A. you probably have a Union and a contract. It’s not perfect but what is discussed and written down is pretty much law. No so in the Middle East; “my friend you have misunderstood me”. Trade unions as you recognize them are illegal.

It is not that there are a “few” different things, most things are different-really different. Many if not most of your daily assumptions are no longer valid. Such a move rocks your foundations, many "Americans" crack under the onslaught.

Living in the Middle East CAN be a great experience. In fact it can be the highlight of a lifetime. But many Americans struggle and fail because they are unable to leave “America” behind. We make the mistake of constantly comparing the culture to the “good ‘ol U.S.A.” and are unable or unwilling to make the changes necessary to adapt successfully. We “reek” our “cultural superiority” and it pisses people off BIG time.

I have been gone from the Middle East for many years now. For me it was wonderful, and I would not trade that experience for 10 years of seniority at my airline. But, it is not for everyone. Unfortunately, more Americans seem to fail and come home bitter and resentful after moving to the Middle East than those who love it.

To me the keys to success would include; adaptability, humility, commitment to succeed, realistic expectations and willingness to mentally and emotionally leave the U.S.A. behind. Doing so does not make you a bad U.S. Citizen; you are not committing treason but beginning to lay the foundation for a successful transition.

Such changes are not easy to make, and your resolve will be severely tested. Americans fail for many reasons including trying to set up “little Americas” (clubs, social groups, schools and living compounds where things are “like home” and we can all agree about the “dumb locals” who “smell bad” and “stupid this and that”). We also fail because we are too proud and not willing to learn the language or history nor are we willing listen and learn why things are the way they are.

Sometimes we Americans are too quick to open our mouths and slow to listen with the ears. We react and get frustrated and angry with the present circumstances start looking forward to the time when we “go home” and get out of this “$%* hole. It’s not for everybody! The less prepared you are, the more unrealistic your expectations the more likely you will be miserable. Will it work for you? Possibly.........................................

If nothing else it will probably teach you to love the United States in ways you cannot imagine now.

Respectfully,

Northbeach

Last edited by Northbeach; 25th Jul 2010 at 22:14. Reason: spelling