PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transition to C172 Diesel (FADEC)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2010, 22:39
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transition to C172 Diesel (FADEC)

Having flown couple of hours in O-320 powered C172, I will begin flying Thielert powered one soon and I have some "stupid" questions:
  • Since the engine is turbocharged, is it important to have very smooth throttle operation (as in conventional turbocharged engine) or you can "slam" the throttle from idle to full and vice versa while FADEC controls the rate of acceleration? I was thinking of doing 10 seconds acceleration from idle to takeoff power instead of normal 3-5.
  • On the ground is the throttle lever in idle position or do you set it to provide higher-than-idle RPM in order to increase quality of combustion (and decrease carbon deposits)?
  • Are there any statistics of single or dual FADEC failure in flight regarding Thielert engines?
  • The manual (supplement) doesn't state the type of constant speed propeller - is it controlled electrically or hydraulically?
  • Regarding the electrical supply to the FADEC: if I understand correctly, if the engine is running and the BAT and ALT switches are switched to off and therefore no electric power is provided by battery or alternator, the engine stops working?
  • Although the aircraft is operated with Jet A-1 only, I have to ask: does fuel consumption/performance differ from Jet A-1's when using Diesel fuel?
Every answer as well as any advice will be highly appreciated.