PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 24th Jul 2010, 09:25
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a convoluted thread this has turned-out to be! I think everyone will agree that the most dangerous phase of flight to experience the stall, or the approach to a stall, is the intermmediate/final approach phase where the loss in altitude (during recovery) will 'hurt' if we don't get it right.

Whilst that we're all professionals and that we all (I hope) understand the theory behind these discussions, it's true to say that the regulators do, sometimes, have to 'spell things out' to those who don't. The Training Manual; part of the Ops Manual, must provide a standardised procedure for stall recovery technique. Hence, the basic concept for stall recovery (when within the area as stated above) is to reduce alpha. The application of thrust alone will innevitably increase alpha. I believe that this is more of an 'awareness' issue; in practice, you'd no-doubt lower the nose and increase thrust whilst also 'controlling' the tendancy for thrust induced pitch-up.

We're all running around in circles and getting 'bogged-down' with semantics. If we were all to be in the same room and having the very same discussion we'd no doubt all agree with each other... this ain't rocket science!

TCF