PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAA CEO Good Value?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2010, 07:17
BFJH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am an LAA board member and just thought I'd make comment about the inferences made by several posters that the Association wields the big stick against members who choose to criticise it. Some evidence would be welcome.

I have been actively involved in the Association for over twenty years and know of only one person being excluded for two (maybe three I cannot recall exactly) months. He was an Executive Committee member who deliberately worked against an important, then PFA, initiative and threatened its viability. It is not unreasonable to expect EC, now board members to support board decisions.
The person in question did operate a PFA aircraft and action was taken to ensure that his right to do so was not jeopardised in any way, and he actually re-permitted the aircraft during the course of his suspension. Hardly an act of oppressive vindictiveness I'd suggest.
Regarding the LAA Forum, the view was taken that it does reflect on the Association and sniping posts, many by people who were not even members, did nothing to further the cause of the Association. This forum is somewhat different of course; it is not allied to a particular company of association so comments made on it do not 'attack' the provider of the forum. It can therefore be considered as independent.
Some of you may recall the AAIB comments, in a microlight accident report, about a minority of BMAA members working against the BMAA safety culture, resenting over regulation by CAA and giving the impression that it was OK to break the rules. That view was formed in the main by postings on the BMAA forum and whether or not you agree with the inclusion of those comments in the report (I do not), it is clear that what is written on these forums is read and interpreted by more than a few anonymous people who like the sound of their own voice. If you are independent, like PPrune it doesn't matter, if you are not, like the BMAA and LAA forums, it can have unwelcome consequences.
That is why LAA took the decision to limit the forum to members and to use only real names. The forum now tends to be used by members who seek info on aircraft parts, technical issues, fly-ins etc. It is in the main non controversial, which no doubt is why many on here consider it a waste of time. Personally I take the view that it serves the purpose I want it to serve, there are plenty of independent forums available where anarchy rules, though I put little store in posts made by people who are not prepared to come out from behind the shield of anonymity.
I have no intention of commenting on the original subject matter of this thread. Making a submission to the LAA board, or raising the matter at the LAA AGM is the correct procedure for dealing with such issues.
Brian Hope.