PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Many to Manage 41,000
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2010, 06:26
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
RP. in 1990 the then AirSec said the aircrew cadre would reduce to 1,000 officers. While that figure may have excluded some categories such as senior officers, even at 57k the aircrew cadre would represent 1:56. If the strength dropped to 41k and the aircrew cadre remained at 1,000 (it won't) that is still 1:40.

So what branches change that ratio to 1:4?

In 1962, on a training unit, we had a Senior Technical Officer (Sqn Ldr), a Senior Admin Officer (Sqn Ldr), Stn Adjt (Flt Lt GD), an accountant, a caterer and a junior Admin Officer. We had a couple of educators and that was about it - a tail of about 6 non-aircrew officers.

Most flights were commanded by FS and WOs. The tail was not banded into sqns.

Now that was a long time ago, I was in training and not best placed to learn these details, but I think it was pretty close to the truth.

True we had one Group responsible for training pilots and another for training navigators. Both groups were in Flying Training Command so a lot of top weight there. However there was a robust external examination system from staff college all the way to training school exams.