PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Cross Wind Landings
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2010, 03:29
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm still here, and still trying to work out how to consistantly do a good landing in the B777. The B777 is now my "high time" aircraft, and I'm still trying all of the good advice from fellow Prooners, Boeing, colleagues, and Boeing.

I can honestly say that I have never done a "bad" landing on the B777, but the "good" ones are few and far between. The majority are the usual shake shake shake as the main gear bogies touch down (impact?). At least I've worked out how to fly the nose-wheel on instead of trying to hold it off in a fruitless endeavour to soften it's impact

My personal theory is that the triple bogey main gear is very intolerant of ANY residual drift, no matter how small. Not experienced on other single and double bogey aircraft. On numerous occasions I've had the aircraft set up for what would be a "greaser" on any other aircraft, only to result in the B777 shake shake shake as the main gear bogies touch down.

My last landing was a very good one (the 1% probability), methinks I should retire now whilst the going is good. I'm due to commit aviation again tonight, I know already what the landing will be like (the 99% probability).

Ah well, practice makes perfect.